Tuesday, September 16, 2008

38 1/2 hours…

I have not had electric for 38 1/2 hours. This morning was the 2nd morning of taking a shower in the dark. I really wanted to shave my legs this morning, but was not willing to risk doing it on the dark. I soon will have a jungle on my legs; soon cheetah will be stocking prey in the tall grasslands. Ok, so it’s not that bad yet, but seriously AEP can you please bring me power? If this is a test to see if I can survive in a 3rd world country, I could have told you without the test, no, no I could not. I like my modern conveniences.

I want to send a big thank you to Mr. A and Ms. A. They provided me shelter last night, feed me, and even allow me the use of their television. I could have stayed the night, but was wish’en, wish’en upon a star that my electric would be back on by this morning. Well my star was a dud I guess. I had to make a trip to Mr. A and Ms. A’s home because I had some very important beer in my fridge and I could not allow it to go bad. I’m “renting” space in their fridge for my beer. Do you remember back in May I went to Canada? Well, I did. It is the longest b-ee-rr-u-n, beer run that I have ever been on. The beer I enjoyed while living in Ireland is sold in Ireland and Canada. Weird, I know. Anyway, I bought a few packs of the beer because I knew it would be awhile before I would make it back to Ireland and likely Canada. I’ve slowly been working my way through the beer, savoring each one. The beer was pricey and there is no way it was going to waste. I knew I wasn’t in a mood to drink it all last night, so a fast trip to the far outskirts of Columbus was a necessity. Of course, seeing the two A’s is always a delight. Ah, Kilkenny!

Back to this morning…

I got really pissed this morning driving into work. I cursed, literally, the people on the other side of the street that were wasting their electric. Why have your porch light on all night long, most of them. Now all of them could not be waiting for a loved one to come home in the dark and they are not Red Roof Inn. I got really pissed at the parking garage in the big fancy new condos at the end of the street that had every single light on. Not just security lights, no, lit up like Rudolph’s nose. Now for me, often the only glow of light in my house is the TV. I don’t tend to have every light on the house on when I’m home. I may have one light on if I’m doing something besides watching TV, but I don’t think I have ever, ever turned on my porch light. Ok, nope, I sit corrected; I did turn it on during a party one night so others could figure out where I lived.

A stream of non child friendly words escaped my mouth as I drove through Victorian Village. They did not have electric yesterday, but now have electric. What, what, why don’t I? I could almost deal until a neighborhood so close to me got their electric back and I didn’t!

I have concert tickets for Thursday night. Will the theatre of have electric? I certainly hope so, because if not, I may completely loose it and I’m barley keeping it together now.

I’m a wimp, I admit it. Uncle! Now please bring back my lights, my tv, my stove, my ice, my sanity.

**Let me say, I understand many others are in the same predicament that I'm in. However, blogging gets some of my frustrations out. If you don't have a blog and need to vent, feel free to share your experiences in the comments.

2 comments:

Sleepy Scott said...

Hey Allie,

Some time ago I was told by the beverage manager at a local Anderson's store that if they didn't carry a specific brand of beer or wine, they would special order it for you.

It might be worth it to ask them before your next road trip to Canada for Kilkenny.

allie said...

sleepy scott: Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look up Anderson's when my supply runs out.