Thursday, December 06, 2007


Chilly Winter Story…

Picture it, Sicily 1945 or Grandview 2007. I woke up at 6:30am stuck one big toe out from under my mound of covers and immediately tugged it back into the warmth. CRAP! It was cold. I drag my sleepy self out of bed and to the hot shower, ah the warmth again. CRAP! I have to get out of the shower; this means warm toes eventually have to hit the icy tile. I quickly dressed in sweats and tiptoed to my car—I’m was oh so clever to go warm up my car while getting ready. I get ready, finally ready to start off into the wild streets of the city to head to campus. Again, I tiptoed to my car make it in safely and it’s even defrosted! I slowed tread down my street to the main one and make it to campus with no stresses. I pulled up to the garage, pull out my handy pass, drove through, parked, grabbed work bag and gift for department holiday party. CRAP! No gift. It was sitting on my couch at home. I had grabbed my work bag, but forgot the gift. What to do?

I pondered this for a moment. I didn’t have a gift for the party. It’s a “white elephant” gift, supposed to be “something from your garage sale that did not sell last year”. I haven’t figured out why even do it, but who am I. I didn’t have anything in my office, no wrapping paper, nothing. I quickly came to the conclusion that I only lived a few minutes away and could run home, grab gift, and rush back. Put car in reverse, back to garage gate, exit and head back to the house.

CRAP! Bus, of course, I get behind a school bus that seems to stop every 2 houses to pick someone one. Although, these kids don’t really look like kids, they look more like adults. Finally the bus pulled onto another street and I saw it was a work program bus, now I understand why they looked like adults-they were. Anyway, I finally made it home, tiptoed into house, grabbed gift, and headed back to car. I started the entire process again.

I finally made it into my office only about 40 minutes late. Good thing most students have finished their finals and I have a very light appointment load today. I also have the gift. Some sorry soul better appreciate the angel candle that has been around most likely since the 1990’s. I did tape an instant lotto ticket to the box, so that might make them a bit happier.

The holidays will soon be here!
I did decorate a bit :)


I hope your morning was just as adventurous as mine! Happy Thursday!

No comments: