Monday, July 26, 2010

MSN This Morning…


As I was looking over the headlines I notice this 36 Things Every Single Girl Must Do Before She Settle Down.

Copied directly from MSN.


To Build Your Confidence…

1. Go to a movie alone. (I love going to movies by myself. Just went to one last week by myself. I don’t see this as a big deal.)

2. Lift weights. When I bench-press 45 lbs., I feel like the bomb. (Hummm, not sure how much I can bench press, but I can throw a 50 lb bag of feed over my shoulder and carry it around.)

3. Try surfing, water-skiing, or some activity you don't already know how to do. Could be riding a bicycle. (I really want to learn to drive a motorcycle. I’ve been trying to convince my Dad to buy one so I can learn then get my own.)

4. Take out the trash, set a mousetrap, do your taxes, build a bookcase. (Done, done-but it’s gross, done, and done-well, if the ones that come in a box count.)

5. Live alone, or at least move apartments in NYC without the help of family. (Done)
6. Train for (and finish) a huge physical test like a half-marathon. (Seriously, I need to do this while single. I don’t think so, thanks for the advice though.)

7. Go to a scary doctor's appointment by yourself. I once dragged myself to a CAT Scan in the dead of winter, all the way over on 1st Ave., post-break-up. I felt like I was made of steel. (Done)

8. Quit your job. It feels so good to take a job and shove it (and not be affecting anyone else's livelihood). (Done, the best one was the F-U to FU.)

9. Fly to a foreign country by yourself. I was nervous on my first solo trip to Europe, even though I almost always have to travel alone. (Done, first trip abroad, I flew over the big blue ocean and a friend was popping out a baby. April 28-Happy Late Birthday Mr. L!)

10. Learn to stand up for yourself. (If you're not naturally assertive, may I recommend moving to New York City? It did wonders for me.) (Done)

To Be Able to Look Back and Say "I Had Fun"…

11. Witness something once-in-a-lifetime, like Jokulsarlon, a lake next to a melting glacier in Iceland (see photo). (I think the Cliffs of Mohr count…awesome!)

12. Revel in being able to watch all the reality TV you want. I'm pretty sure no man will be able to stand as much Bravo TV as my roommate Erica. (I have been watching America’s Got Talent, but beyond that, not too much into reality TV.)

13. Get drunk during the day, just because you can. Attend Santacon, the convention for Santas, or something similar. (Well, I’ve been drunk during the day…not in recent years, but in past.)

14. Go on a date with someone who actually makes you nervous. (Most all of them!)

15. Go out with an older man who takes you somewhere nice and makes you feel like a million bucks. (Done, yes, I have dated guys older than me…even though I am an ageist and I admit it. I’ve gotten past it, it’s more my age that bothers me now.)

16. Go out with a guy who makes you laugh ‘til it hurts. (Done)

To Get Perspective…

17. Be a good wingwoman. It's not always about you. (It’s always about me, but I can be a pretty good wing woman.)

18. Chill with your widowed and single grandma. She knows "alone"! (I miss two of my grandmothers that have passed away. I do wish they were still around! Grandma Sharon made the best ginger snap cookies ever and Grandma Baker always made me a round, double layer cake for my birthday. In addition to their baking skills, they had stories. I do miss ‘em.)

19. Volunteer. (Does the Dublin Irish Fest Count? I did volunteer, but had a blast doing it.)

To Make You Appreciate the Next Guy…

20. Do at least one Valentine's Day alone. (A lot of them alone.)

21. Attend a wedding (or 15) alone. (Done)

22. Date the creeps. You'll really value the nice guys afterward. (Well, I’ve got the creeps part down, I just gotta focus now on nice ones.)

To Make You Feel Sexy and Attractive…




23. Buy yourself some flowers. (Done, I love having fresh flowers in the house, I should buy them more often.)

24. Invest in a LBD (little black dress) and some sexy stilettos. (Done, except the stilettos, yikes.)

25. Sit at a bar by yourself and drink a martini. Cool.  (Done, but a beer)

26. Buy something frivolous and expensive that you LOVE wearing.  (Done)
 
To Make the Most of Your Free Time…

27. Finish all your schooling if you can. Not that it was ever my goal to go to grad school, but I did, and it would've been tough dragging a guy up to isolated New Hampshire and making him sit there in the cold for two years while I studied (and partied).  (One BA and one MEd, Done)

28. Throw yourself into something time-consuming, like learning a foreign language. You may not have time to do this again until you retire and the kids are off to college.  (Still learning knitting skills, better, but still working on it.)

To Make Yourself a Better Partner in the Future…

29. Make a list of all your faults.  (The list is too long.)

30. Learn to cook well. I'm still working on this.  (Working on it, my Pamper Chef stuff, really helps.)

31. Get some hobbies. Something's gotta keep you occupied—plus it'll make you seem interesting.  (I've got a few.)

32. Let your married friends edit your online dating profile. My dear friend Cheryl has caught a few doozies.  (I have done this, mostly they are good to me, but sometimes, well let's just say I had to edit it again.)

33. Get your finances in order.  (This is a real challange, but trying.)

To Appreciate Being Single…

34. Babysit someone's baby for an hour.  (Done many times.)

35. Help a friend through her divorce or a bad break-up.  (Sadly, I've done this too.)

36. Host a girls-only night. I think some coupled-up women forget how much we need each other.  (Done!)


So, in my almost 35 years, I think I’ve gotten it right, at least according to this woman’s list. I guess some of these things could be considered scary, if you haven’t done some of these, take life by the balls kids and go for it.

No comments: