Friday, January 16, 2009

You Can Too...

Yes another fun episode of if I can, You Can Too.

I encourage you to make Apple Nut Bread. I adjusted the recipe from the Iowa Cookbook, I didn't like all the stuff. I'll post the original recipe at the bottom, in case you would like it.

First...

Go pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.


Then, find some nice apples--I thought I would need 4, but it turned out, I really only needed 2.


You will need to chop them up, 2 cups is what you will need. *Note, if you put the cut pieces into a bowl full of ice, they will not turn brown for awhile.


Next mix: 3/4/ tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1 1/3 c. flour in a bowl.



In another bowl--yeah, I don't have a dishwasher either, but what are you going to do----mix 1 c. sugar, 1/2 c. veggie oil, 2 eggs, and 1 tsp vanilla. Once this is good and mixed together, mix in 2 c. chopped apples and 1/2 chopped pecans. Now add this to the bowl of dry ingredients-mix well!


Once everything is mixed up nicely. Poor the mixture into a greased loaf pan. (I was at my Mom's when I made this--she has these great mini loaf pans, so I made two mini loafs. I keep nuts out of half of the mixture and half with, so one loaf with one without. It's kinda like one mounds and one almond joy. *grin*)

Mix together 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon. Shake this on top of the loaf, to your liking. I love cinnamon, so I put on loads, but you can do less cinnamon if you like.

Now put this in the oven and bake for about 60 minutes. If you are using the clay pans, it may take a bit longer, they take longer to warm up. Keep an eye on the bread, it will be done with it's golden brown and you can stick a toothpick in and nothing comes out on the toothpick.


This bread is great for a nice breakfast with a nice cup a tea or coffee or a snack. It's a great way to use up the end of a bag of apples before they go bad also.

The official recipe is...

Apple Nut Bread

1 1/3 c. flour
3/4/ tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 raisins or nuts (opt)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. soybean oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. chopped apples

Mix dry ingredients, except sugar, and set aside. Mix sugar and oil; add eggs and vanilla. Stir in apples, nuts and raisins. Add flour mixture and stir until mixed. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes. Sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on top before baking, if desired.


Stay warm and happy baking!

No comments: