Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuesday Trials…

My Tuesday issues really started Monday evening. I went to a movie with Ms. D last night. We ended up seeing PS: I love You at the $1 movie which is now $1.50, still much better than paying full price for a movie, but everything is increasing in price except of course my salary. Anyway, the movie was really good. However, it was so freaking depressing. If you need a movie to allow yourself a good tear fest, this is one for the books, it’s right up there with An Affair To Remember. It was double depressing for me, if that’s really a term. The story line was a downer and then part of the movie is set in Ireland with people with Irish Accents, so that was depressing in that I haven’t been there in ages and don’t see it happening any time soon. The cost is just too much right now. The flight alone is crazy and then the Euro is so beyond the dollar it’s scary. I do however recommend the movie, just be sure to make your investment in Puffs before you begin viewing.

We exited the movie and found ourselves in a skating rink. Sometime during the two hours of the movie a somewhat blustery day had turned into frozen tundra of thin ice everywhere. It took double the time it should have for Ms. D to take me back to my car and then the same 15-20 mile an hour trip from my car to my apartment. Ms. D spent the night at Le Alison because her hour drive home would have taken 3 likely and there was no guarantee you could stop on the ice.

This morning was no different. A sheet of ice still lay on the roads, I’m guessing Columbus just doesn’t have the budget or give a crap about my part of town to put down any salt or brine or kitty litter. I attempted to stop at one point and began a nice spinning action. Lucky there were no cars in the opposite lane and a side street that I some how turned my spin into a turn and recovered. I made it to my humble office of course after slowly making my way from my parking space. This university and it’s lack of maintenance during the winter just amuses me now because otherwise I would get very pissed off and start ranting to Gee that he needs to either hire more people and get off his happy ass and make the campus moveable. I only have a short distance to maneuver before I can reach my office. Students and many other staff have to travel long distances to reach where they need to be. It’s no wonder I saw two students last week on crutches. I can’t imagine trying to deal with those during this weather and getting across this campus. I had crutches a few times in high school, bad ankles, but man never had to deal with traveling a lot with them.

So, I really just wanted to praise the movie and complain about the roads and the condition of travel--now go start your Tuesday.

No comments: