Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mother Nature’s PMS…

Seriously?

I get, on average 7 hours of sleep a night, I would prefer 9, but that never happens, well rarely unless my body just gives out and I’m in bed by 9pm. I had just fallen asleep when the tornado sirens start going off. I tried to ignore them at first, but then decided I better put some clothes on and check out the situation to deem if the sirens are worthy of my attention. I trek down the stairs turn on the TV and see a very ominous weather map. There was a seriously dark red patch headed straight for the Grandview area. CRAP! I didn’t want to, didn’t even want to be awake, but I made myself go to the basement. Most of the time I figure if it’s coming no matter where I’m at it’s not going to matter, but that map really did look serious and it was oddly calm out with little wind, a bit creepy. I pulled out a camp chair grumbled my dismay and listened to the hail and rain falling outside. Ms. H called to make sure I had gotten my bum to the basement; she’s such a Mom sometimes.

After about 15 minutes, I had a problem. I really, really had to pee. What to do, the toilet was all the way upstairs, would a tornado sweep me away on the accent back up stairs? Why do I always have to pee at completely inopportune times? I thought about it for a bit and finally gave up, I didn’t care, I had to pee, so I made the accent up the stairs and then made my way back down to the basement because the sirens were still going off. I turned the TV up so I could hear it in the basement. I should have a small portable radio but don’t.

I settle back into my camp chair and had a few choice words for Mother Nature and her PMS. Finally the TV announced the tornado warning for Franklin County has been lifted, yeah! I headed back to the living room to watch a bit more of the TV to see what exactly was going on. I was a bit confused because they announced the warning was lifted but the sirens were still going off. The TV dude finally announced after about 30 minutes the sirens were not working, great, fun, good times. Annoyed, I traveled back to my bed but was unable to fall asleep for quite awhile. So, my typical 7 hours of sleep turned out to be closer to 5 hours of sleep. Even the iced coffee this morning is not really helping my brain function, kick in soon, please, kick in soon.

No comments: