Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Seattle Blog 1...

I made it through yesterday. I got home and planned to take a nap, but discovered I had too much to do so ended up not making it to sleep until 11pm last night. Oh well, I feel tons better today, but did for just a moment consider taking a sick day today, but didn't.

Wednesday morning of the trip, Mr. A was kind enough to drive in and take us to the airport, saving us time and a bit of money. We made it into CML and to our flight with no worries, boarded to the first plane to Detroit, hopped a couple of fast walkers (the belts that run in airports, no idea there real names), and made our connection to Seattle with no worries. My Mom and I at this point met up with my sister. After a terribly long plane trip to Seattle we arrived at SEA. We called my Dad to make sure he felt part of the experience and because my parents are rarely apart for extended time, to tell him, "Hey guy, we just landed. Yeah we're at SEA". If you are over the age or 40 you may know this reference, for those who are not, my Dad is a big Bob & Tom fan.

The rental car experience was a bit of fun. They were out of the compact car I had reserved. My options were a large SUV, mini van, or a RAV 4. A co-worker drives a RAV 4 it's fairly small and likely ok on gas, so I got the RAV 4. We took the shuttle to the RAV 4. Well, the new RAV 4's are a bit larger than the one my co-worker drives, but I was willing to take it on. We loaded all the bags climbed in and were choked up by the smoke smell. I walked back into the office, requested a non-smoking car and was pointed in the direction of a shiny red Toyota Highlander. WHAT! Now, I have to drive this large SUV in one of the most environmentally conscious cities, in a city I don't know, that I don't know what the traffic is going to be like. I drive a little Hyundai Elantra and I had declined all the insurance options.

Smokey RAV 4




Highlander-only ours was red


Oh well, moved bags from stinky RAV 4 to red Highlander and off we travelled. My sister recently purchased a Tom Tom so we had help with the navigation. My job was simply to drive, it was their job to figure out how to get us to the hotel in downtown Seattle. I don't know if you have used a Tom Tom before but it gets pissed when you don't do what it says. It also tells you to turn left and if you don't do it right then it repeats it like you missed it or something. Helpful, but annoying also.

We did make it to the Hyatt, even though Tom Tom, got us a bit lost. We valeted the car, had the bags taken up, because at the Hyatt you don't take up your own bags. The room was extremely nice. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the soaking tub. Yes, I did take a hot bubble bath both nights we were there. So luxurious, so grand!!!



I didn't think to take pictures of the room, but did get this one. See the nice flat screen.

We haven't even gotten to the first night yet. :) Oh what fun these next few blogs are going to be.

No comments: