Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remember Where You Were?

September 11, 2001, I was in my apartment getting ready to head to my assistantship for grad school. I was watching the TODAY Show and the show flashed over to the towers, stating that they believed there was a problem, but they of course had no idea the extent of that statement. The next couple of hours passed, I was glued to the tv, anxious to understand what was going on. The images were horrible, but oddly I could not look away. I didn’t want to drive the hour to my assistantship, but finally made myself leave the tv and then rushed to the car and turned on the radio, desperate for information. I drove to the assistantship and they told me to go home, that the university was closing down. September 12 was almost worse then the day before, I guess simply because it moved into my reality. Again, I was driving to my assistantship and along the interstate were military personnel in full gear, armed with machine guns lined up along the road. It was the most unsettling experience. At the time, I thought I can not live in a world where armed guards line the road sides. Thank goodness, that was the only day that this occurred.

Take a moment to remember where you were six years ago today.

No comments: