Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Even Losing Can be Fun…


Saturday I traveled to Cleveland for my first ever professional baseball game. I’ve been to a few AAA games, but never a pro one. Cleveland was playing Cinci, the Ohio Expo…ok, I don’t remember what exactly it was called, but it was Ohio something. The first part of my drive to Cleveland scared me a little, I kept hitting speratic downpours for about the first hour outside of C-Bus. Thankfully the skies cleared and it was a wonderful evening for a game. Pre-game old college friends gathered for a chat to catch up on life changes and reminense about the “old days”.

I expected our seats to be up so high the players would look like wee dots on the field, but lucky enough, we had really great seats. We were in the first section, right between right and center field, score!

Growing up in Southeastern Ohio, there are no professional teams of any kind. So, you either aline with Cleveland or Cinci teams. If my Dad was cheering for a team it was the Cleveland Browns, so by default, I became a Browns fan (maybe this explains my many issues). Again by default, because I was a Cleveland football fan, I became a Cleveland baseball fan. Now, I use the term fan loosely with it comes to baseball. I love baseball, love to watch it…at least in person. However, when the Indians looked like they were going to lose in a blowout during the first couple of innings, I was willing to jump ship to the Reds. Ok, not really, but the boys playing for the Indians didn’t really show up, they didn’t act like they were getting paid to do this job. Oh, it was stressful. At one point, it was 4-0 Reds, eck.

The Indians did show up in the 9th with a short rally at least bringing the final score to 6-4 (Reds), if nothing else not a blow out, but still a loss. I understand the Indians are in a buidling year and they did beat the Reds the following day, yeah for them. To add to this, Grady is on the injured list.

If you can’t win, at least have fun doing it, which the game was a ton of fun.

Photos from my phone…


The view from the "cheap" seats.  They were at a crazy discount, sometimes it pays to know people. *grin*


I don't really get the mascots for the teams.  Odd, very odd looking muppet like fellows.



After the game they let off fireworks, which rocked.  They played great music while they were going off...and I love fireworks in general.  It was a pretty impressive show especially considering it is an add on for the game.


On a completely different topic...today is National Fish and Chips Day in Ireland, so if you get a chance to partake in some today in honor of all the chippers in the home country, please do.


2 comments:

Tiffany said...

We were at the game Saturday night, too! The giant cheers for the Reds, and I cheer for the Indians. Apparently we were not very far from you. I kept hoping the seagulls would distract the Reds’ outfielders the few times the Indians actually hit the ball. :)

allie said...

Ms. T...crazy, wish I had seen you there. The giant at least got his college football team correct. LOL