Friday, June 26, 2009

The Protest...

Yesterday in the heat I went out to the Ohio State House with many other concerned Ohioans to protest the budget cuts in the State budget for the Ohio Library System. The libraries already experienced a 20% cut earlier this year and the current purposed budget is wanting to take another 30%. Do the math people, that's 50%, now what organization, company, franchise can survive on a 50% budget cut. None! That's why all of us red shirts were out there yesterday.


The temperature was 88 degree, but if felt much hotter in the mid-day sun, but all the sweat was worth it if Strickland heard the cries for a change in his budget proposal.



Fox news setting up a camera for interviews.

Ms. D-holding one of the signs I made for the protest.


There were many signs.


Love this guy's shirt. If you can't read the details, it reads, "Library Super Hero".


Senator Ted Celeste came out to speak briefly. I think after his speech, he was praying for everyone to go home because he was dying of heat stroke in that suit jacket.


Gotta love this sign. It's kinda a cool picture too, I like the composition.


10 TV, ONN setting up for more news footage.


She claimed this was how many Ohioans have a library card. I don't know where she got her stats, but if it is true, that's a number Strickland needs to pay attention to.



The crowd gathered at the State House, notice they put us in the sun, "this is where the permit was granted for".


You can see footage of the rally at this link and you can see me and Ms. D in the background at one point, my best side, my back side hehheheheh, 1 minute into the video to the right side of the screen.
Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest. - Lady Bird Johnson

Nothing sickens me more than the closed door of a library.- Barbara Tuchman

SAVE OHIO LIBRARIES!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your protest.

Although I voted for Uncle Ted, I think he is a bit too inflexible for the circumstances Ohio currently faces. He needs to step back from the many lines in the sand he has drawn, and be willing to reconsider some other funding options.

allie said...

Flubtastic: I'll cross my fingers he comes to his senses and decides to allow a bit from the K-12 programs to go to this worthy division of the State Budget.