Monday, June 22, 2009

I Had a Plan…
(this is the color of my face right now-I'm so pissed.)

I had planned to blog about something else today, but just a few moments ago, I read this article and it just made me sick to my stomach! The more I think about it the more angry I get.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6666479.html Please read it and then take action! To give you a preview the headline is: Ohio Governor Proposes Halving State Support; Many Libraries Could Close.

Please take action. You can send an email to the governor at this link,

http://www.governor.ohio.gov/Assistance/ContacttheGovernor/tabid/150/Default.aspx

You have to give your life history, but they have it anyway. You can send multiple emails, I’ve done it. I sent a lengthy one describing all the benefits of the library and then I send a very simple one liner—it was respectful, but to the point. I wanted to make sure he actually read one of them-or someone in his office did.

This just pisses me off, I mean public libraries are one of a very few free services available to individuals of all income levels. I pay taxes, I keep the idiots who refuse to get off their asses and get a job in food and housing, yet I’m not going to able to read a book at no cost or have a free video so I can actually have entertainment on a Friday night!

You can call Strickland: 614.466.3555. Of course you will get a voicemail box, but you can leave a message and not have to leave your details.

You can also contact the governor on facebook if that is your preference, of course you have to become a supporter first! I was until now-idiot, we can’t keep educated people in the state as it is and he wants to take away the library system! Seriously, I going to buy a house in a small county so I can go to Washington, do jack all and get paid for it, all in the name of Ohio!

In addition to the governor, you can contact:

Senator Bill Harris,President of the Senate 614-466-8086 SD19@senate.state.oh.us

Senator John Carey,Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee 614-466-8156SD17@senate.state.oh.us

Representative Armond Budish,Speaker of the House 614-466-5441 District08@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Vernon Sykes, Chairman of the House Finance Committee 614-466-3100

Please contact someone, email, blog, phone, facebook, get the word out.

I have firsthand knowledge, libraries will be closing if he does not change the budget plan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is also proposing big cuts to subsidized child care and preschool programs for the poor, aid to food pantries, and funding for community health centers. "Welfare-to-work" won't work if people can't afford child care. I'm thrilled that he is keeping the tuition freeze at OSU, but seriously?! I would rather pay more to keep taking care of poor kids and maintain libraries.

allie said...

Anonymous: His commitment to higher education is interesting to me, because there are still no jobs for many graduates to fill in Ohio.