Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Isn’t it Ironic…


Last night I visited my local library, for me this is at least a once a week event. I love the idea that I can explore so many DVDs, books, and music at no cost. It’s a lovely service that may not exist soon. I wondered down to the audio section, randomly selected a couple of DVDs, then an audio book (I have to read 10 books by the first part of August, so I decided I could listen to an audio book and still work on projects at work, at least when not seeing students). I’m not normally an audio book person, I prefer to have the pages in hand, to flip through one by one. However the book I’m currently listening to, it’s not too bad. I checked out The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly when I was serving Jury Duty. Since I stuck on a murder case, I had little time to actually read so I only got a few chapters completed before the book was due back. This is an alternative to help me reach my 10 books.


As I was wondering around the audio section, I noticed a poster on the wall. This poster actually,


almost on cue, Ironic by Alanis Morissette started playing in my head.




Isn’t it ironic Mr. Strickland…read Ohioans, oh but wait the library is closed!

With the cuts Strickland is purposing libraries will be forced to function on budgets lower the ones in 2001. It’s almost 2010, running on the money purposed is simply not an option for small branches and they will close.

I know I asked on Monday, but please if you have not done so yet, please, please contact any State person to let them know we need our public libraries.

From the Columbus Public Library site, you can use a canned email or write your own,
http://www.columbuslibrary.org/save_our_library
. The email will go to David Goodman, State Senator, 3rd Senate District and John Patrick Carney, Representative to the 22nd House District. I don’t care if you live in these districts or not, send it!

I didn’t get to participate in the war protests in the 1960’s. I do protest the Iraq war, but support those forced to go fight because I don’t want a mandatory military.


This is my protest—Keep my library open!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a little help from a friend about the libraries! Please let them know that you really do need the library in your town.

Conference Committee people that determine the final budget.



Vernon Sykes

district44@ohr.state.oh.us



Jay Goyal

district73@ohr.state.oh.us



Ron Amstutz

district03@ohr.state.oh.us



Dale Miller

SD23@maild.sen.state.oh.us



John Carey

SD17@senate.state.oh.us



Mark Wagoner

SD02@senate.state.oh.us


M

allie said...

M: Thanks!