Monday, May 11, 2009

Pig Sale...

This past Saturday, my Dad held his 2nd annual pig sale. These pigs were purchased to be taken to local county fairs. It was a long day, we were in the barn at 5am to load the pigs, then off to set up for the sale. Everything had to be ready by 730am and the sale began at 830am. It worked like a silent action, bidders gave their bid and their bidder number, it was written down and if someone wanted to up the bid they could. This year ran smoother than last, I think we kinda had a clue this year of how to get everything done quickly. 50 pigs were taken to the sale and only 12 came back to the farm. They will either be raised for future sows (an adult female pig that has had a litter of little pigs) or butcher pigs, yep sausage.



This was taken right after set up. If you look closely you can see poster boards on the building in the back, this is were the bids were written down. There were two pens of pigs, divided by size.

This pig was chilling in the cool morning air. We got lucky, the rain held off and didn't visit us during the sale or even later, it actually was a nice day.

That's me in the pen with the pigs. They were tired and started laying down to rest. The people buying wanted to see them walking around, so I had to climb in and keep the pigs moving.

This little dude, thought if he slept sitting up, I wouldn't notice and leave him alone to nap. He did this time after time. I felt kinda bad for them, they had been up walking around for over a hour, toward the end, I would let them lay down for a bit, then I'd have to be the bad guy and say, nope not yet, get up!

Look at these hams, all wanting to be in the picture.


Hams, hahahaha, oh I think I needed a bit more sleep and less caffeine, I'm slap-happy.

No comments: