Wednesday, July 06, 2011


Kitchen Updates...
 
I seem to find myself cooking or really baking quite a bit lately.  I find it is a helpful way to get rid of some stress.  My new trick was borrowed from a friend.  Make the lovely treats then take them to work and get rid of them. I get one to try and the others are consumed, just not by me.
 
Recently I made White Chocolate Cranberry Scones.  I tweaked the recipe from the book Alice's Tea Cup by Haley Fox and Lauren Fox.
 
You will need...

3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt--little less if using salted butter
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2/3 cup white chocolate chips
2/3 cup dried cranberries
 
Mix, don't beat, ingredients in order listed above.  Then lighly flour a space to cut dough. I try to make a log about a couple of inchs wide and then cut triangles down the log.  Don't make them too small, they don't fluff as much-and in this case fluff is good.  You want about an 1 1/2 inches thick before your bake and they will expand.  (I tried mini ones and they were just not as good, better to make real size and then cut in half, if you want to serve more people.)
 
Once cut and on baking pan--brush top with milk and sprinkle sugar
1/4 cup skim milk for brushing
1/4 cup sugar for top sprinkle
 
Bake at 425 degree for about 12-15 minutes, until light/golden brown on top.  Makes 10-12 scones.


Grab a cuppa tea and enjoy!

No comments: