Friday, March 19, 2010

I’m Off Again…


No, I’m not off my rocker. I’m off on another adventure. This one it not taking me as far as Florida, but could be interesting.

Let’s see if you can guess where I’m headed with a few clues.

-The county seat is McArthur.

-In the 2000 Census the population was 12,806—the least populated in the state.

-Lake Hope State Park is where I will be staying



Ready? I'm about to give up the answer...


....

....

Ready?...


Ok, give up?



I’m headed to the exciting Vinton, County OH—IO!



Why you ask, well I ask myself that a lot these days as I’m doing the planning for this week long trip. The University offers alternative spring break trips. It gives the students at the University the opportunity to do some community service during their break instead of just throwing back tequila shots. Now I do like my Patron, but it’s good to give back every now and then. I’m taking a group of 5 students to Vinton County to do some Access Programming in the High School and Elementary Schools. They will be talking about their college experience and the many ways individuals can increase their knowledge base after high school. Why go to Vinton County, why go to a county where there are literally no hotels to stay in, why go to a county where you have to stay in a cabin in a state park? Well…I’m not a camper as you likely know, I don’t believe in sleeping in a tent when there is likely a perfectly good bed not too far away. I don’t believe in not showering for days just to become one with nature. The good thing is, this is a cabin and there is running water, hot running water hopefully, and a bed --a real one. Opps off topic…we are going to Vinton County because they have a very low percentage of students who go on for a technical education, two year degrees, or four year degrees. We are going to show them there are options open to them depending on their interests.

The challenge will be to overcome a couple of mind sets. One, many of these students believe that they are going to be professional athletes. It doesn’t matter that only one student (that I know of) actually was awarded an athletic scholarship to a college in the most recent years. They, like many high school students, need a small reality check. We hope to gently break the news this is a great dream, never stop dreaming, but have a backup plan. We also need to break through the idea that it’s ok, if they want to, leave Vinton County and explore other parts of the state, country, world.

Ok, I’m off my higher ed soapbox.

I’m still working, just out of the office. I’m researched and the local library has wireless, so I’ll be able to answer work emails and such and I’m told that Verizon mobile service is the best for the area, so I should be able to have a phone at least in the town, not quite sure yet at the park, but co-workers can contact me if they REALLY need to. The good news is, if time allows I should be able to report via the blog our adventure.

Now, enjoy your weekend kids and keep a look out for on the road reporting.

No comments: