Monday, December 21, 2009

Dear Public Utilities Commission of Ohio:

I am writing today in regards to the poor customer service I received from the (shit ass) Columbia Gas Company on December 20, 2009. On December 19, I discovered a gas smelled outside my back door. I contacted my landlord who then contacted Columbus Gas. A (twice a day smoking-smelly) young lady showed up with in a brief amount of time to confirm there was indeed a gas leak and my gas would have to be turned off. I was grateful for such a quick response to this emergency call. I was (super) unhappy to be displaced from my home during this cold winter’s night, but understood it was in the evening and a crew would be in the next day between the hours of 8am and 4pm. This is a (ridiculous) long window, but understandable (not).

On December 20, a crew of two men (dumb asses) did indeed show at my apartment to research the problem, around 3:30pm (just meeting that 4pm deadline). The problem was identified as an issue with a new gas line installed in my apartment not 3 months ago. The line pipe was installed incorrectly be the previous (incompetent) Columbus Gas (idiot) employee. The crew of two worked for about an hour and claimed the issue was fixed and that a tester would be out in within two hours to test the time and turn my hot water tank and furnace on again. I must be home in order for the tester to go into my basement to do the testing. This is understandable and I was happy to be there to have my heat turned on as the temperature in my home had dropped to 54 degrees. This is not freezing but is a terribly low temperature to simply sit and wait for the gas company (one can not really knit, fingers are too cold). Two and a half hours had past, no tester had arrived. I called Columbia Gas to inquire the estimated time the Columbia Gas employee would arrive. The emergency line employee, seemed (dazed and) confused when I called. She told me, no work order was in the system for someone to come out to my house that evening. I (gritted through clinched teeth) explained that the crew of two had been in my house and they (when specifically asked if I needed to call-was told no they would) claimed they were calling in a work order for a tester to be there within two hours.

The call center employee was very nice and put in the work order for me, explained that someone was required to be there within four hours, I had already been waiting two and that someone would be there in the next two hours. I was (trying!) trying to be patient and did not point out I had been waiting over two hours for someone to arrive the first time when apparently no work order had indeed been sent in.

I waited (freezing) another two hours, now growing more (pissed) impatient as it was now after 9:30pm. I called the emergency line again. I was told that there was an emergency somewhere else and that someone would eventually be at my house. I inquired a timeline as to when that might be. I was told no timeline could be given as there was an emergency, but I was reassured that someone would there that that evening. Well, this is where my complaint really begins. I had now been waiting over 5 hours for someone I was first told would be there in two hours (argh!). Then I’m told that turning my heat back on was not an emergency (bull shit). Well, had I had a small child or an elderly person in my home, it would likely be an emergency, however since I did not the lack of heat in my home on a cold winter’s night was not an emergency. I would like to differ with this, I don’t typically keep my home at 54 degrees in December, in Ohio and I doubt that any of the Columbus Gas Company (dumb ass) employees do either.

Someone finally arrived at my home and at 10:45pm I once again had gas in my home and could turn my heat back one.

The customer service I received from the initial person that arrived to turn off my gas was (ok-not stellar) wonderful, very kind and helpful. The men to came to fix the leak, knew what they were doing (not likely since they dug a hole that didn't need to be), even if they did leave a pile of dirt in my backyard from digging around. However, their (stupidity) incompetence to call in my work order to delay the return to the gas being turned on created a severe break in customer service (a cluster fuck!). The emergency call center’s lack of urgency (annoyed voice) at getting someone to my home to turn the gas back on so heat could be restored to my home was unacceptable. I strongly encourage the Public Commission of Ohio to take action with the Columbus Gas Company (demand they give me a refund for my time) for their seemly lack of concern on returning heat to a home in a timely manner as an individual is forced to wait in a below average temperature home (54 degrees, in December, in Ohio) for over six hours.

Sincerely,

(Pissed Off) Columbus Gas Customer

(items in red will be omitted from official letter)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that so sucks! do they only have two tecnicians for all of columbus?