Monday, July 27, 2009

Summer Reading Program…

This summer I signed up for the adult reading program at my local library. Now get your minds out of the gutter, not that kind of adult! When I signed up, I was asked if I had a personal reading goal for the summer. I said 10 off handedly. Now, 10 books is great, but I wasn’t thinking it’s summer, I’m not likely to read as much because I’m going to be out enjoying the few days of sun Ohio actually gives during the summer. Once I gave the woman the number she then said I would receive a small prize if I reached my personal goal. What! Now I have to reach this goal for a piece of candy likely, but I feel I must reach the goal. I’m still working on it and only have until August 8 which is when the program ends.

Why sign up you ask. Well, I felt I should support the library as much as possible since at the time it was going through the entire budget issue and well for each book I read I get to submit a ticket for a drawing of prizes. Who doesn’t like free prizes.

Book number one was The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly. I give it three stars out of five. It was an easy, good summer read. The main character is not perfect and has his own issues to deal with during the story, which adds to the interest of the story line. I really enjoyed the fact that the story line kept moving. I’m not a fan of what I call the Hemingway style—you know where it takes three pages to describe a yellow rose. It’s yellow, it’s a rose, thanks, I’ve seen one of those in my life, no further explanation needed. I also liked the fact that I didn’t have to know Connelly’s previous books to enjoy this one. So, if you are looking for a good mystery, look for it in your local library. *grin*

No comments: