Tuesday, November 03, 2009

I’m Depressed…

I’m sad, depressed, discouraged, angry and yet not surprised.

I got up early this morning, I’m not a morning person, so this is a real challenge for me. I blocked off part of my morning at work in case I was late. I planned ahead, yeah me. I was prepared to wait in a line. I arrived at my voting location and my glee over getting to vote was washed away by sadness. I didn’t have to stand in line, I didn’t even have to wait at all. I walked in, signed my name, took my sticker, voted, and left. Big sigh! No wait!

I heard on the local news they are only expecting a 20% turn out in Ohio. Now, come on people, there are three state issues on the ballet and several community issues. You can’t get your ass out and vote? Now, I’m not referring to all my lovely readers, I’m sure you did. I also know they have expanded the absentee voting options, which is great. However, I know this is not why there was no line. The problem is apathetic idiots.

Now I have a policy and I’m going to have to enforce it strictly from this point on. If someone is complaining about an issue that was on the ballet, my first question will be, “Did you vote?”. If they did, then I’ll have a spirited discussion with them, if they agree or disagree with my views. If they respond with a “no”, then my response will be, “Shut the Fuck Up! You have no opinion, you didn’t even vote!”. Now, there were some harsh words in there, but sometimes harsh words are needed.

So, today I’m depressed. I wear my “I made a difference, So can You, VOTE” and only hope that others will see it and remember they need to get out today and vote.

Tomorrow, a “If I can you can too”, a bit less dramatic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I didn't have to wait, but I vote at a weird location. I always take the kids with me so they can see how important it is to vote. It upsets me that my ex can't vote because he isn't a citizen, despite living here many years and paying taxes, but those who can choose to sit at home.

allie said...

I agree.